2010年1月31日星期日

GRANT CAN`T RULE OUT MORE DEPARTURES

Avram Grant admits he cannot guarantee there will be no more departures from Portsmouth on Monday.

Grant was furious on Friday when he discovered Younes Kaboul and Asmir Begovic had been offered to Tottenham behind his back.

The Begovic deal subsequently collapsed but with Kaboul now at White Hart Lane, Pompey's already slim chances of avoiding relegation have taken yet another nosedive.

With only loan players an option following the partial lifting of the transfer embargo by the Premier League last week, the chaotic state of life at Fratton Park has been laid bare for all to see.

And, after watching his side turn in a spirited performance but ultimately lose 2-0 at Manchester City on Sunday, Grant confirmed he has no idea what Monday will bring.

"I cannot clarify anything because it is changing every hour," he told BBC TV's Match of the Day.

"I don't think we will lose any more players but I didn't think players would leave before and we lost one of our best, so I cannot guarantee it."

Grant was cryptic when it came to his own position, although it seems the former Chelsea boss is committed to trying to steer Portsmouth through this hugely troubling time.

Wages are due to be paid on Monday - a day late - out of the £6million they are said to be receiving from Kaboul.

But the threat of administration hangs over the cash-strapped south coast outfit and Grant knows anything is possible in the battle to survive.

"We need to do something to ensure the club will survive," he said.

"The club is important. It is a city with a team. It is not like in London where they have teams with a city.

"Portsmouth belongs to the people and we need to do everything because they are good for English football."

Grant will prepare his side for Wednesday's visit to Fulham knowing a trip to title contenders Manchester United is looming next weekend.

And, for now at least, he is determined to deflect attention away from himself.

"It is not good we lost players. I am not happy with it. I don't like it. But what can I do?" he said. "This is the situation.

"I am not the issue. The issue is the club and this city. As long as I am here I will do everything that I can.

"Who knows how long I will be here? Nobody does How long will Roberto Mancini be at Manchester City. This is the life of a manager.

"I came here to build something. I am still trying to do it. We can either give up or fight. And I am not giving up."

没有评论:

发表评论